Sunday, October 24, 2010

Owning It

Surprise, I'm back to blogging!

Third year has kept me busy, and I actually have quite a lot to share, stretching way back to the boards in June. Don't worry, I have several posts planned - you know, to keep things nice and organized - but I wanted to put up a quick post as sort of a lead-in to the ones to follow.

I came across this great quote in a Runner's World article the other day that completely captured a feeling I've been having about medical school. The article was by Peter Sagal, the hilarious host of NPR's Saturday news quiz show, Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me (and, apparently, a darn good runner). He wrote about the final 6.2 miles of a marathon (which is 26.2 miles in total), and how, no matter what, they are especially difficult and painful. He quoted Paul Carrozza, founder of a Texas running shoe company, who offers this advice: "Stay in the moment. And remember. . . once it's over, you'll own it forever."

That sentiment reflects the reason that I will likely attempt a marathon someday, and also the feeling of accomplishment and worth-it-ness that I am beginning to sense lies at the culmination of these four years.

Stay tuned for details about my transition to the clinical years.

No comments: