Friday, May 28, 2010

Amazing News!!!!

OK, second year is over and I'm studying for the Boards and the wedding is in less than a month and we had a super-fantastic engagement photo shoot last night and I did my final dress fitting this afternoon and we're moving to an exciting new apartment in July, and I really will try to catch up on all of that, but another amazing thing just happened that I need to share right now: I got accepted to attend a 3-day conference offered by the American Medical Student Association in Washington, D.C., that is all about writing in medicine!

A physician who helps to facilitate the poetry group that I joined this year (and who is an amazing surgeon, poet, and person; an idol of mine, really) forwarded some information about the conference to students interested in the humanities. The application deadline was 4 days away, but when I visited the website, I began writing my essay immediately; I couldn't believe that a conference geared so perfectly toward my interests even existed. (Check out the website to see for yourself; it's got Becky written all over it: http://www.amsa.org/AMSA/Homepage/EducationCareerDevelopment/AMSAAcademy/WI.aspx)

I am one of 24 students accepted, and I will be participating in the prose track. (The other options were poetry and journalism.) There are workshops and seminars and small-group sessions with peer feedback and critique. The only catch is that I'd have to miss a day and a half of my internal medicine rotation. I emailed the dean about 5 seconds after getting the acceptance email (and calling Mom & Dad, obviously), so I'll be waiting anxiously to receive her response.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go burst with happiness.

1 comment:

Lauren said...

Could NOT be prouder or more happy for you!! : )